[council] Gala tickets and volunteers...

Mary Wong MWong at piercelaw.edu
Tue Jun 22 08:33:31 UTC 2010

I agree with Tim that it seems to defeat the purpose if the most active volunteers at ICANN don't get an equal chance to attend the main event.

More broadly, I find it troubling that these events are listed as "networking events" on the schedule, but occasionally (usually at meetings where there are very many attendees, e.g. Paris and now Brussels) an "ordinary" member of the community (e.g. not a Board or Council member) is told, after traveling to the meeting and after he/she has been asked to name his/her hotel for transport to the gala, that he/she needs a ticket on a "first come first served" basis (BTW the meeting website merely hints vaguely at this, saying that "Invitations will be available ... starting on Tuesday etc.")

I appreciate that this kind of decision is made by the host/sponsor for logistical reasons, and not ICANN, but to me it could - and probably will - be taken as a poor reflection of ICANN (especially when so much volunteer time is being asked of the community). I also appreciate that as a Council member I get a ticket and in advance (thank you Glen!!!!) but if I were a non-Council but active WG member, I might be troubled by that too.

It seems to me that if the host/sponsor cannot hold a splashy event that can accommodate as many members of the community as wish to attend (some of whom may be here for the first time or who may be funding themselves), then either hold a less fancy/ambitious event so that more can attend, or don't hold one at all (or at least don't advertise it as a gala open to all).

All right, now someone tell me this is "outside the scope of Council" :)

Have a good day of meetings, everyone!
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA