[council] RE: Suggested change to CCT motion

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Wed Jun 23 04:44:00 UTC 2010

I accept this as a friendly amendment.

Chuck

From: Olga Cavalli [mailto:olgacavalli at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:06 PM
To: Alan Greenberg
Cc: Gomes, Chuck; Liz Gasster; Mason Cole
Subject: Re: Suggested change to CCT motion

Thanks Alan, as Chuck made the motion I will wait for his comments.
Regards
Olga

2010/6/22 Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>

Chuck and Olga,

On Chuck's suggestions, Mason and I have come up with a change to the
CCT report which addresses my concerns. Liz and I discussed it and
suggest a simple fix to the motion which will incorporate this change.

The change replaces one sentence. The old sentence read:

The CCT recommends that Working Group charters be drafted with careful
attention to the issues or questions that should be considered and the
outcomes desired.

The replacement is:

The CCT recommends that Working Group charters be drafted with careful
attention to the issues and/or questions that should be considered and
the goals/objectives desired to be accomplished in addition to desired
timeframes.

Note that this change is in line with the ALAC comment on the CCT
report. Since the original motion already directs staff to "consider"
the comment during implementation, this amendment simply removes the
staff discretion on whether or not to honor the comment. As such, it is
not in any way changing the intent of the original motion.

Since I have no rights to make what is presumably a friendly amendment,
I will leave to the two of you to take whatever formal action is
necessary.

To fix the motion, replace the current first RESOLVED:

RESOLVED, that the GNSO Council approves the Final Consolidated Report
http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/cct-consolidated-report-final-09apr10-en.pd
f of the CCT, without further modification, and directs Staff to begin
work on implementation.

with:

RESOLVED, that the GNSO Council approves the Final Consolidated Report
http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/cct-consolidated-report-final-09apr10-en.pd
f of the CCT, replacing the second sentence section 5.8 with "The CCT
recommends that Working Group charters be drafted with careful attention
to the issues and/or questions that should be considered and the
goals/objectives desired to be accomplished in addition to desired
timeframes.", and directs Staff to begin work on implementation.

Alan