[council] FW: [soac-discussion] Public Participation Committee public session, invitation for SO/AC leaders' participation

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Tue Mar 2 18:02:08 UTC 2010

I too would be very interested in this.  I've been inter alia trying to encourage formation of a Development interest group in the NCSG, have organized three IGF workshops on development and Internet governance, will be writing about it for the UN, etc...

Bill

On Mar 2, 2010, at 5:06 PM, Olga Cavalli wrote:

> Chuck,
> I would be willing to participate in this pannel, although I am not sure if it overlaps with other meetings or activities I must be involved in.
> Regards
> Olga
>
> 2010/3/2 Gomes, Chuck <cgomes at verisign.com>
> Please see below a very late request for GNSO participation in a panel that will be discussing the following in Nairobi:
>
> "a) What are the three most important improvements ICANN can make to its public participation processes to facilitate greater engagement by developing world stakeholders?
> b) Should ICANN incorporate a greater focus on the developing world in its work and if so, how?
>
> c) How can the work of ICANN be given greater relevance where there is low Internet density per capita - and what priority should be given to reaching stakeholders in countries with the lowest Internet connection density? (see the World Bank statistical link under "Materials and References" below to look up statistical information of the kind referenced)."
>

> Note that this conflicts with the "Registration Abuse Policies Initial Report Information Session" on Wednesday afternoon in Nairobi.
> Because of the late notice on this, it really is not possible to develop a GNSO position on the issues to be discussed, so I believe the best we can do is to identify a volunteer who would for the most part participate in a personal capacity and attempt to represent to the best of her/his ability what they understand to be views of GNSO community members.
>
> Is there anyone who would be interested and willing to participate on this panel in Nairobi?  Please respond as soon as possible if you are interested. It might be helpful if any volunteers would provide brief personal answers to the three questions to allow other Councilors to comment between now and 10 March and thereby obtain a little broader GNSO input before the session.
>
> Chuck

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance