[council] FW: [soac-discussion] Public Participation Committee public session, invitation for SO/AC leaders' participation

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Thu Mar 4 16:59:47 UTC 2010

Hi

On Mar 2, 2010, at 7:05 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Thanks Bill.  Please respond to the three questions for Council discussion.

Sorry to be slow to respond but in the usual pre-departure frenzy.

Reduce the information overload barrier to entry.  The current approach is in effect to throw people into the deep end of the pool and say ok, learn to swim.  This is not how government staff and many others from developing countries experience their entree into other international institutions dealing with Internet and ICT issues, and the noticeable contrast can be alienating.  I've had ministry and NGO people say they can't figure out where to start, it's too overwhelming, and you can't just pop in, sample, and figure out what's most relevant like you might elsewhere, it feels like an up front long-term commitment to full body immersion is required.  So revamp the maddeningly newbie-unfiendly info architecture and content of the website, or at least provide a parallel track that defines issues and their interrelationships in a digestible form and then allows people to build their knowledge from step a to b to c.   Maybe hire a couple staffers to serve as sherpa or focal points with an explicit "there are no dumb questions" mandate, and/or have a volunteer buddy system—ongoing and for meetings.  Expand translation support.  Figure out some way to prepare people for the cultural style aspect—discussions in ICANN are much more aggressive and challenging (and, I am routinely told, "American") than what many people are used to from their home cultures or other international spaces they work in.

Significantly expand outreach and capacity building efforts.  I agree with Tim that the roving meetings are insufficient for this purpose, particularly given the nature of the agendas and the difficulties of trying to plug in and play (although they can be used as platforms, e.g. NCSG is having a meeting with East African noncommercial actors in Nairobi the night before Constituency Day, which some will hopefully feel inspired to attend).  One or two annual regional seminars of a capacity building nature would be really helpful (could in parallel reduce regular meetings to two, or stop the roaming).  Could also make better use of other opportunities like the IGF; currently, ICANN does a ninety minute open forum that's a quick show and tell of the basic institutional lay out and current issues, but it could be doing more extended capacity building sessions.   Partner with bodies that provide education and capacity building.  Commission an book/manual that maps stuff out in a manner that works for educators and end users (and do NOT call it ICANN for Dummies...there's a lot of sensitivity about being talked down to, I've sat with developing country government and NGO folks in WSIS/IGF meetings and seen rather adverse reactions to ISOC presentations etc).

More generally, recognize that improvements to the PPP can only get us so far as long as the larger political problems are not addressed.   While there's been progress in expanding GAC and drawing developing country people to in-region meetings, there are still widespread perceptions out there that suppress engagement and inter alia steer people toward intergovernmental bodies as the places to address Internet issues, including some that are in ICANN's turf.  This is especially the case with ministry of communication and foreign affairs types; many Group of 77 representatives (it's actually 130 countries now, including China) will tell you their governments don't participate because they don't want to "legitimate ICANN," that ICANN is dominated by the US government and US corporations so their interests could never get a fair hearing, that ICANN still needs to be made subject to some sort of intergovernmental oversight or be replaced for certain functions, etc.  So there's a need for some soft power and diplomatic engagement, cultivation of in country-constitutencies (including other government ministries), recruitment of developing country people into visible leadership positions across the organization, and on and on.  By themselves, a better web site, more translation services, travel grants, and so on aren't going to win hearts and minds and build support and engagement; a holistic strategy is needed.

>> b) Should ICANN incorporate a greater focus on the developing world in its work and if so, how?

ICANN needs to better reflect the global topography of Internet usage or there will be all kinds of ramifications over time.  A few options might include:

Consider establishing some sort of identifiable home for development in the ICANN nexus, even if small.  Signaling is important, and almost every relevant intergovernmental body has a development branch or office of some sort. And has development promotion as an explicit part of its mission.  Yes ICANN is not the UN and its mission should not be greatly expanded, but it is an international body that sets policies that affect developing countries, and there's no place tasked with identifying and suggesting approaches to development concerns.  Could be centralized, or feed into/support efforts at the SO/AC level (e.g. the nascent development interest group in NCSG).

Add a development session as a regular feature of the meeting programs.

Where relevant, factor a development assessment into the decision making process as a standard element, so that when pricing of new gTLDs or EOIs or vertical integration or whatever is being addressed, questions about the possible impact across developing countries (recognizing there's great heterogeneity in that category) are at least considered, maybe even addressed through special provisions etc.

>> c) How can the work of ICANN be given greater relevance where there is low Internet density per capita - and what priority should be given to reaching stakeholders in countries with the lowest Internet connection density? (see the World Bank statistical link under "Materials and References" below to look up statistical information of the kind referenced)."

Obviously, the needs of the least developed countries are different from those of upper income developing countries.  While ICANN's not in the business of supporting infrastructure deployment, FDI, domestic regulatory reform and the other top priorities in the LDCs, it could liaise with organizations that are where issues relevant to its mission are part of the mix. And per the above, undertake some targeted efforts to identify the special needs of LDCs with respect to its operations, support or provide capacity building, help cultivate communities of interest, etc.

Maybe some of the above sounds like mission creep and doesn't appeal to everyone here.  Where you stand depends in part on where you sit, and I'm in Geneva amidst an intergovernmental/NGO nexus that's heavily focused on developing country concerns and wherein one can routinely hear things said about ICANN that would make your head spin.

Best,

Bill

william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
www.graduateinstitute.ch/cig/drake.html