[council] FW: Proposal to form a Joint ALAC - GNSO WG "to develop a sustainable approach to providing support to applicants requiring assistance in applying for and operating new gTLDs" in response to the ICANN Board Resolution 20 at the Nairobi Meeti

Adrian Kinderis adrian at ausregistry.com.au
Sun Mar 21 05:45:37 UTC 2010

I, personally am a little astounded by the principle and effort. Perhaps I am missing the point.

Excuse me for sounding perhaps a little arrogant (you shouldn't be shocked by now) but I am not sure why such support needs to be provided at all.

I'd love to have a telco licence in my country or to have bid for some spectrum but alas, I didn't have the funds and missed out. Perhaps I should apply to the government for assistance so that I can run my own cell phone number allocation and give them out to my constituents to improve their communication.

Why is this situation any different? It costs a substantial amount of money to run a TLD and rightly so. It is critical infrastructure and should not be taken lightly. I am not sure why the fuss has been around the $185,000 any way. If you are having trouble with that, then look away, because ICANN's tech team have stipulated EPP Registry's, sophisticated DNS and disaster recovery just to name a few, not to mention the Registry failover financial instrument.

TLD's aren't for everyone and they shouldn't be. If that means they are exclusively for the rich then unfortunately that is the way the worldturns. As I say, anyone want to start up a foundation to fund me to secure an Oil Drilling license in the North Sea?

Adrian Kinderis