[council] FW: Proposal to form a Joint ALAC - GNSO WG "to develop a sustainable approach to providing support to applicants requiring assistance in applying for and operating new gTLDs" in response to the ICANN Board Resolution 20 at the Nairobi

Andrei Kolesnikov andrei at cctld.ru
Tue Mar 23 11:50:26 UTC 2010

Bruce, Rafik - for your information few facts of live.

Starting IDN ccTLD open up the same issues as one
starts gTLD: TM protection, sunrise, hiring expensive
legal guys, deals with local authorities, making sure
you have community support and operations in place.
All of this - a lot of money if cc applicant is not
trying to cover bad operations with  "national
sovereignty".
To date we've invested about $600.000 in the registry and
systems (go EPP) and about $500.000 (including $26.000
Fast track fee) in SG&A costs.
Differences in requirements for ccTLD and
gTLD applicants are well known, but they are not
about budgets if registry plans to go beyond 10.000
second level domains. And here we go with Adrian's
question: "I am struggling to understand why everyone
NEEDS a domain name even". And Alan's point:
"If we cannot come up with examples of TLDs that stick
out as "really good things" that can attract support,
perhaps you are right and they don't "need" them.
But I suspect that there will be examples, particularly
IDNs, where the case will be a lot easier to make."

My believe there will be failures and there will be
success stories. And until we seed first few (IDN) gTLDs
focused on local communities or businesses - we will
never know.

Damn right - .xxx will cover all costs.
What about .дети?  (.child in Russian)
There is only one way to know: launch it and see
how it goes.

--andrei