[council] Initial staff report on GNSO-requested WHOIS studies attached for your review and discussion

Liz Gasster liz.gasster at icann.org
Wed Mar 31 16:52:55 UTC 2010

Hi Caroline,

Thanks so much for your interest in the studies!  I think I understand your question, and I think the problem or concern is related to my use of the term "desire".  What I mean to say is that the researchers all conveyed that they thought it was important in order to prove or disprove the hypothesis to try to find (or determine the absence of) a specific link between publicly-displayed information related to a specific domain name and subsequent misuse of the registration data for that domain name.  I think that goes to the crux of the question raised in the hypothesis and was not intend to convey that they were partial to any particular outcome.

In retrospect I think I could have used a better word, but the important point I was trying to make with that "lead-in" is while the researchers demonstrated that they grasped the optimal goal of the study (to examine the queries that lead to harmful acts), the methodologies they proposed might not yield an unequivocal result and at best might yield only a "loose correlation" regarding the extent to which various anti-harvesting measures result in reductions of harmful acts.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you would like further clarification.

Best, Liz