[council] Joint Meeting Topics for Brussels

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Fri May 21 14:52:19 UTC 2010

I agree with Stephane for the most part. But actually, the dinners are a
meeting of three bodies - Council, Board, and Staff.

Council has numerous opportunities to interact with Staff, as does Staff
with the Board, at F2F meetings or virtully. I hope Staff will not take
this the wrong way, but it might be helpful if there were less Staff at
these dinners (not zero, just less). That would allow for more
interaction between Council and Board members, at the tables or
otherwise.

Clearly, time with the Board's will be in high demand at these meetings.
However, Council is responsible for managing the policy making process
of the largest, most active, and most prolific SO within ICANN.
Shouldn't making time for meaningful F2F interaction between these two
bodies be a priority?

I like Bruce's suggestion of a mix of formal/informal work. And we
should avoid topics that are more or less just an oppotunity for parties
on various sides of an issue to vent/air their arguments (VI, for
example). Topics should perhaps focus on issues related to how
Council/Board interact, issues/concerns Board/Council may have regarding
use/availability of Staff resources, budget for GNSO policy activities,
AoC issues, etc.

Tim