[council] Questions for chair

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Nov 16 22:09:48 UTC 2010

Thanks for responding Olga.

Chuck

From: owner-council at gnso.icann.org [mailto:owner-council at gnso.icann.org]
On Behalf Of Olga Cavalli
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:59 PM
To: KnobenW at telekom.de; Adrian Kinderis
Cc: council at gnso.icann.org
Subject: Re: [council] Questions for chair

Hi,
in relation with the questions sent by Adrian and Wolf, these are some
comments and I am happy to further explain these ideas during the
conference call next Friday.

Adrian, my mission as a NonCom Appointee is to participate in GNSO with
a neutral perspective placing the broad public interest ahead of any
particular interests. In my view, a chair is a facilitator and a
coordinator of the work of the GNSO, including all different interests
and perspectives of all the council members and their stakeholder groups
as well.

As you may recall, we NCAs could be also non voting members of the GNSO,
which is the case of Andrei now. So there could be even a non voting
chair.

I have shared working teams, drafting teams and several other activities
in my three years serving the GNSO with almos all of the council members
and dialogue has been always open, so I am happy to answer any other
question or doubt you may have.

I would apprecialte if you could clarify the concept "platform" included
in your question.

Wolf, for me the key issue in the future of GNSO is broaden its
perspective through outreach.

In the Constituency Operations Working Team that I have chaired as part
of the GNSO restructuring process, we have produced a very interesting
document about outreach that is now under final revision by the OSC and
will soon will be available for GNSO revision. (Special thanks to Debbie
Hughes that chaired the subworking team, Krista Papac, Claudio DiGangi,
Rafik Dammak, Tony Harris and Michael Young for their active
participation in drafting the document).

If GNSO could broaden participation including a more diverse perspective
and more active participation from a wider universe, then it would be
easier to have more participants from different stakeholder groups into
different projects.

As we learned in the prioritization working group, where you were a very
active member, all projects have their impact and are relevant and
interesting for different councilors and for their stakeholdergroups. So
if more representatives can actively participate in different activities
then prioritization could be more a managerial issue than a problem of
administrating lack of time and resources.

In relation with your question on how to "avoid the council's position
in the policy development process becoming more and more weakened?",
again I think that the answer is having a GNSO with a broader
perspective, and this could be achieved through an outreach effort.

I will be happy to explain this further or answer other questions next
Thrusday.

Best regards

Olga