[council] Motion to Approve the Recommendations in the Final Report on Proposals for Improvements to the Registrar Accreditation Agreement
krosette at cov.com
Tue Nov 30 21:39:22 UTC 2010
I hereby submit a motion to approve the recommendations of the Final Report on Proposals for Improvements to the Registrar Accreditation Agreement for consideration at our 8 December Council meeting.
Motion to Approve the Recommendations in the Final Report on Proposals for Improvements to the Registrar Accreditation Agreement.
Whereas, on 4 March 2009, the GNSO Council approved the form of the 2009 Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) developed as a result of a lengthy consultative process initiated by ICANN;
Whereas, in addition to approving the 2009 RAA, on 4 March 2009 the GNSO Council convened a joint drafting team with members of the At-Large Community, to conduct further work related to improvements to the RAA; specifically to: (a) draft a charter identifying registrant rights and responsibilities; and (b) develop a specific process to identify additional potential amendments to the RAA on which further action may be desirable;
Whereas, on 18 October 2010, the Joint GNSO/ALAC RAA Drafting Team published its Final Report describing specific recommendations and proposals to the GNSO Council for improvements to the RAA;
Whereas, the GNSO Council has reviewed the Final Report and desires to approve of the recommendations and proposals contained therein;
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT:
RESOLVED, that the GNSO Council appreciates the effort of the Joint GNSO/ALAC RAA Drafting Team in developing the recommendations and proposals delineated in the Final Report for improvements to the RAA;
RESOLVED FURTHER, that the GNSO Council hereby accepts the Final Report and approves of the Form of the Registrant Rights and Responsibilities Charter as described in Annex D of the Final Report;
RESOLVED FURTHER, that the GNSO Council recommends that Staff commence the consultation process with Registrars in the RAA to finalize the Registrant Rights and Responsibilities Charter for posting on the websites of Registrars as specified in Section 3.15 of the RAA;
RESOLVED FURTHER, that the GNSO Council recommends that Staff adopt the process specified as Process A in the Final Report to develop a new form of RAA with respect to the High and Medium Priority topics described in the Final Report. Process A states:
"1. Prioritized list of topics goes to GNSO council (i.e., final form of this report). Staff and council review may filter out topics that fall under consensus policy.
2. Negotiations begin with negotiation group consisting of Staff, the Registrars (as a whole, not individually), and certain observers representing the interests of affected non-parties to the agreement.
3. During negotiations, if Staff and Registrars agree, parties may vote to hold discussion on specified topics in executive session (excluding observers), then reporting back to the full negotiation group re progress.
4. Negotiating group reports [to GNSO and ALAC, or to the public] periodically (such as monthly) on status and progress. Negotiating group is expected to make bracketed text, and/or agreed items, available for public comment and feedback.
5. Negotiating group reviews comments and continues negotiations and repeat step 4 as necessary.
6. Staff and Registrars, after consultation with observers, determine when full final draft of new RAA is ready to be posted for public comment.
7. GNSO Council reviews and considers public comments and votes on approval of the RAA. GNSO Supermajority Vote to be obtained in favor of the new form.
8. If Council approves, the new RAA goes to Board for approval.
9. If Council does not approve, goes back to negotiation team with appropriate feedback for reconsideration. Repeat from step 6."
RESOLVED FURTHER, that the GNSO Council recommends that this process be initiated by ICANN immediately.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the council