[council] written update for Item 7: Suggested Improvements for GNSO Public Council meetings

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Oct 8 04:58:28 UTC 2010

Hello All,

Just a little feedback on what seems to work for the Board with respect
to the many useful suggestions from Wendy.

> Rather than taking time on the call, I submit these as the compiled
> recommendations from the GNSO Open meeting discussants.
>
> Most important for the open meeting:
> *Start later (afternoon preferred)
> *Do motion editing and prep during the weekend session and online as
> much as possible, so we're not live-editing from the stage

As Wendy would know from her time on the Board, the ICANN Board
typically starts with some draft resolutions on the weekend prior to the
meeting, and then refines those motions on the Thursday evening prior to
the Friday Board meeting taking into account feedback given during the
week.    Often there is a smaller group of die-hards that work late (e.g
past midnight) on the night before to make sure the wording makes some
sense.

> * do managerial work during teleconference calls.

Yes - the Board tends to do this on the weekend prior to the Board
meeting, and I am encouraging more of this to be done prior to the ICNAN
public meeting so we can spend more time seeking feedback from the
community.

> * What about using the weekend open working session to discuss the
> motions on the table and possible amendments, then just summarize and
> vote on the various versions during the public meeting.

This works quite well for the Board.

Regards,
Bruce