[council] Proxy Voting Procedures

Ken Bour ken.bour at verizon.net
Mon Sep 27 18:05:06 UTC 2010

Chuck, Mary, et al.:

I am not entirely sure that this will help resolve the confusion, but the absences and vacancies procedures are contained in Section 3.8-Incidental Absences of the GOP, not Section 4.5.   I copied out the following paragraph (3.8.1-a) that pertains to your discussion…

a.       Planned Absence:  It is understood that, from time to time, it may be necessary for a GNSO Council member to miss a scheduled meeting due to a conflicting personal or professional obligation or other planned event that cannot be reasonably altered.

                      i.            When a Councilor anticipates being absent or late for a Council meeting, the Councilor is expected to notify (e.g. telephone, e-mail) the GNSO Secretariat as soon as practicable before the meeting begins.

                    ii.            A Councilor is expected to vote on such motions as may come before the GNSO Council using the alternative means provided in Section 4.4-Absentee Voting, if applicable.  If circumstances will not permit voting using the alternative means available, the Councilor may declare an intention to abstain on those motions that are scheduled to be voted upon during the GNSO Council meeting at which the Councilor expects to be absent.  In such an instance, the procedures in Section 4.5-Abstentions will apply.

In essence, in the case of a planned absence, the Councilor is permitted to declare an intention to abstain and that action affords the SG/C of the remedies in Section 4.5 (e.g. proxy).   Unplanned absences, covered in 3.8.1(b), are not remediable due to lack of advanced notice.

To execute any voting remedy does not require that a Councilor determine or indicate whether an abstention is “volitional” or “obligational.”  Those categories were drafted to explain the types of abstentions that can occur -- illustrated with a few examples that were not intended to be exhaustive.   A planned absence could possibly be interpreted as volitional or obligational depending upon the circumstances; but, again, it is not necessary to disclose which classification applies in any abstention situation.   Once a Councilor knows, in advance of a Council meeting, that he/she will be absent, that is sufficient declaration to request a voting remedy from the SG/C.

If you have any other questions, I would be pleased to answer them.

Ken Bour