[council] RE: Proxy Voting Procedures

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Sep 28 12:15:41 UTC 2010

In my assessment, that doesn't seem to work because of the following requirements:

- "A Councilor who believes that he/she should abstain from participation/voting on a measure before the Council is required to provide, at the earliest opportunity, a brief written notification documenting the circumstances to the appointing organization with a copy forwarded to the GNSO Secretariat."

- "To effectuate a remedy described in 4.5.3, the appointing organization or, when applicable, the House or Council NCA must provide a written statement to the GNSO Secretariat, as early as possible prior to any discussion/voting on the matter at issue . . ."  Note the list of items that must be in the appointing organizations written communication with particular attention to: "Reason(s) for or condition(s) leading to the remedy"; "Specific subject(s)/measure(s)/motion(s)/action(s) of the Council for which the remedy is being exercised"; "the communication must include an affirmation that the appointing organization has established a voting position, subject to provisions contained in its Charter or Bylaws, on the matter at issue".

Chuck