[council] Re: Board seat 14

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Sat Apr 9 22:50:46 UTC 2011

Thanks Avri for providing this response to my message. I am copying the Council list, as you suggested I should feel free to forward your message and as I think it contains information which will be useful to the Council as a whole.

Reading the bylaws, your analysis that Rita's term only ends when a replacement is elected looks right. The bylaws article VI section 8.f state that: f. The terms of Seats 11 and 14 shall begin at the conclusion of ICANN's Mid-year Meeting after the 2010 ICANN annual meeting, and each ICANN annual meeting every third year after 2010.

This would suggest to me that the current terms only ends in 2013. I will request GC advice on this just to make sure.

I am, however, unclear on the cause of the dispute on the voting procedure that you speak of. As I read the bylaws, the successful candidate needs 60% of the house, period. There is no reference to specific votes from each SG. And I think that if there was it would actually not make any sense, as in my opinion adding a requirement of a minimum number of votes from each SG on top of the threshold would only serve to overly complicate matters, for no clear reason.

In any case, the question we really need to answer is whether Board seat 14 can stay as currently filled, thereby giving the NCPH time to hone its voting procedures.

Stéphane