[council] Fwd: Message from the GNSO Council Chair

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Fri Apr 29 10:01:50 UTC 2011

Hi Stéphane

On Apr 29, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Stéphane Van Gelder wrote:

> Thanks Bill.
>
> This checking was done. As I explained when we got to that agenda item during the meeting yesterday, Rafik told us that he would not attend so we were aware of that. But because there were requests to discuss JAS from others, it was decided to keep that item on the agenda.

To repeat for thread closure what we just discussed at the coffee break here in Budapest, It's good to hear there was prior checking; as there have been similar cases I know of in which there wasn't, and absent info the contrary, I assumed this was the same dynamic.  That said, if one knows in advance that a colleague won't be able to make a meeting, it seems a tad odd to post hoc write on list expressing disappointment and suggesting everyone had been inconvenienced.

> The message I sent as a follow-up after the meeting was as agreed and requested during the Council meeting, to ask both Rafik and Carlton if they would be willing to provide a JAS update at our next meeting. They have both responded since that message.
>
> I am sorry you feel Rafik was lambasted. It was certainly not my intent.

I'm sure that's true, but think other wording would have better reflected your intentions by casting things in a neutral manner, e.g. instead of  "the GNSO Council was disappointed not to have you on our call, where we had set aside an agenda item and were looking forward to being updated by you," something like "sorry you were unable to attend the meeting, we look forward to you providing an update on the next call."

So ok, on the same page, onward and upward..

Cheers

Bill