[council] Chairs' List and Chairs' Meeting in SF

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Thu Jan 20 18:14:54 UTC 2011

I agree in part with Rosemary and Bill, that there was not enough time
between decisions on these issues for everyone to voice their opinion,
or even give it much thought. But I think the real problem is because
the appropriate way for the Council to act is through resolution. The
straw polling of the Council for these kinds of things just does not
work.

A straw poll on what two main dishes we want for a lunch, or what kind
of hat to present a departing Councilor is fine. But otherwise, I
believe we should act through resolution only. That will alleviate any
confusion as to whether this or that actually had the support of the
Council, and it makes sure that all Councilors have the opportunity to
be fully informed and appropriately consider the decision.

Regarding the two recent issues, I believe there is still time for such
appropriate action. Regardless of how I feel about these issues, I do
believe the will of the majority of the Council should be the deciding
factor. Acting through resolution will ensure that.

When time does not allow for acting through resolution, I don't think
there is any one right way to deal with it except that if pursued there
should be no representation that it was a Council action or the
Council's will in any way. For example, Stephane doesn't need our
permission to arrive two days early to SF and chat with other attendees
even if they happen to be Chairs of other SO/ACs, but if he does he
cannot do so "AS" Chair of the Council or in any way imply that his
actions or statements represent the Council. It would concern me that
ICANN would likely end up paying for two additional nights. If it were
me, I would not let that happen. I guess that is for Stephane to decide.

In regards to the list, there is no reason that it cannot wait for
appropriate resolution and action of the Council.

Tim