[council] Topic for Senegal Board-GNSO Council Meeting

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Jul 20 12:20:07 UTC 2011

Hello All,

Just to elaborate a little further on current rules, the Board also has a code of conduct and a conflicts policy.

Code of conduct is available at:

http://www.icann.org/en/committees/board-governance/bod-code-of-conduct-21apr11-en.htm

Code of conduct guidelines at:

http://www.icann.org/en/committees/board-governance/bod-code-of-conduct-guidelines-21apr11-en.htm   (this was something updated recently to deal with confidentiality guidelines).

The conflicts policy is available at:

http://www.icann.org/en/committees/coi/coi-policy-30jul09-en.htm

As chair of the Board's Governance Committee - we are constantly evolving such documents, and beginning to extend the base documents with operating guidelines.

As a result of this recent case, I welcome suggestions for how any of these documents can be improved.

Each Board director is also required to make an annual statement of interest, which includes the following question:

" An existing or potential ownership, professional or investment interest in, or employment or any other Compensation arrangement with, any entity whose business or operation has been or will be directly affected by a decision or action of ICANN, including by reason of a potential or planned application or possible agreement for operation of a new generic top-level domain (gTLD) or delegation of a country code internationalized domain name (ccIDN);"

We do have processes for dealing with a potential conflict - including an undisclosed conflict by a currently sitting Board member.   We don't have an explicit process for dealing with any cases that come to light after a director leaves the Board.

A short overview of statements of interest is maintained at:

http://www.icann.org/en/board/summary-board-soi-en.htm

and the 24 June version is available at:

http://www.icann.org/en/board/summary-soi-24jun11-en.htm

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin