[council] Remote Participation for Senegal

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Jul 21 12:54:55 UTC 2011

On Jul 21, 2011, at 2:32 PM, Tim Ruiz wrote:

> The point is, there should be no criticism for your not doing so. And I
> realize you may not be "intending" to criticize, but the manner you are
> using to attempt to "understand" sure feels like it :)

While communication is a two way street, the intention of the sender does count for something.  How recipients process it is often beyond the sender's control

> In any event, a bigger question in my mind is whether these types of
> meetings are the most effective way to engage all parts of the world. I
> think it would help to have specific "engagement" goals and metrics for
> these meetings so that their effectiveness can be evaluated.

I agree with this, I've raised the point repeatedly with anyone who'll listen that while we go to these places, once there we don't do much to actually reach out and engage.  So you get, for example, a discussion in Nairobi of outreach to developing countries that had two Africans and fifty usual suspects in the room.  I'm hopeful this can be taken up in the context of anything that comes of the Katim proposal.

BD