[council] Email to GAC

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Thu Jul 21 16:42:40 UTC 2011

Councillors,

As agreed during our meeting today, please find below the email I suggest I send to the GAC Chair.

Please let me have any comments or edits.

Thanks,

Stéphane

Dear Heather,

As you know, as part of its resolutions on the new gTLD program, the ICANN Board passed a resolved clause during its June 20 meeting in Singapore which contained the following excerpt (Resolved 1.b):

Incorporation of text concerning protection for specific requested Red Cross and IOC names for the top level only during the initial application round, until the GNSO and GAC develop policy advice based on the global public interest.

The GNSO Council discussed this during its July 21 teleconference and has requested that I write to you in my capacity as Chair to enquire as to how the GAC intends to respond to the Board's resolution.

Our next teleconference is scheduled for September 8 and we plan to discuss this topic again during that meeting, so any response you can provide before that date would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Stéphane Van Gelder
GNSO Council Chair