[council] Staff utilization report

Andrei Kolesnikov andrei at cctld.ru
Wed Mar 9 20:04:42 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues, this is a great work, thanks Liz & staff and I don't want
to get into much details - there is no need to, just count numbers. This is
a reflection of gNSO councilors work.

I don't agree with Stephane, Council is not struggling with prioritization.
Our problem is endless "process on how to manage process" discussions, tones
of "process definition" documents, peculiar "texting" and arguing over easy
to agree issues. Sometimes it gets worth and above mentioned used as a tool
to slow down baby projects.  Look, the real matter starts from the row #7. I
found  44 hrs in non-procedural projects from total 212 hrs in first table.
Simple logic says to look into how we stop / outsource / give away the
internal process projects.  This will give us a lot of time to focus on real
gNSO matter: whois, raa, geo, competition, abuse, transfer, jas, etc. My
proposal is to kill / hold for a few months the following
projects/process/work teams

New Constituencies Support/Process - freeze the process of review, don't
expand! Let ALAC or Board do it!

Policy Development Process Work Team - stop for 10 months, nothing will
happen

Operations Steering Committee - kill it, don't steer

Work Prioritization - don't need if we have time

GNSO SG/C Charter Reviews/Reconfirmations - stop for 10 months

Standing Committee Drafting Team - don't start it

Policy Process Steering Committee - kill it

Working Group Work Team - kill it

GNSO Council Operations Team - kill it, hire external company to audit

Constituency & Stakeholder Operations Team - kill it

>From now my only vote for the internal processes will be to stop it or no
vote.  Join me, comrades! :)

Many years ago there was a company called Digital Equipment Corporation...
DEC. We bought equipment for many millions of dollars. It didn't help DEC to
survive after the fact they were spending 80% of working hours defining a
processes.

--andrei