[council] Re: [soac-discussion] Input for Upcoming Public Comments - ATRT Recommendation 21

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Tue May 3 13:47:09 UTC 2011

Filiz,

Please find attached a rough guide of the GNSO-led items that may come up for public comment this year.

Please allow me to make a personal comment on your implementation of rec 21. I do not think that simply asking community leaders, 10 days in advance of the deadline you set, to forward the issues which may come up on their radar in the next 12 months is an effective "process for developing an annual work plan".

I can only speak for the GNSO, but our community may initiate projects at any time and is already dealing with many projects at the moment. As such, I would suggest that a sturdier plan is required, and more time afforded to our community, in order for us to be able to provide the required feedback after having had an opportunity to consult with the groups that make up our community.

As it is, the administrative constraints of managing a community such as the GNSO means that its leadership team, its respective group leaders, and all its members have not in my view had sufficient time, nor sufficient guidelines, to provide you with the information you have asked for.

The information contained in the attachment was prepared using our pending project list as a base (this list is available publicly on the GNSO Council website) and due to the time constraints your deadline imposed, although this was posted on the GNSO Council's public list with a call for any comments, responses were limited.

Please understand that I am providing this feedback in order to help you better understand our own issues and in the hope that you can work with the GNSO and other ICANN communities to improve this process the next time it is required.

To inform GNSO Councillors and the community, this message is also being posted on the GNSO Council's public email list.

Thanks,

Stéphane