[council] Re: Draft message to the Board

Mary.Wong at law.unh.edu Mary.Wong at law.unh.edu
Wed May 11 15:59:30 UTC 2011

Hi -

I share others' wishes that it be clear the GNSO Council, on behalf of
the GNSO community, has not fully reviewed the JAS report and as such is
not yet able to provide any advice or recommendations in that respect.
If the note merely said that, I would feel much more comfortable;
however, I have two concerns about sending it in its current form:

(1) To readers who may not know the scrupulous attention that Rafik and
Carlton paid to both the time as well as the proper recipients of the
group's report (as summarized by Alan in his last email), it could be
interpreted as the Council disapproving of the circumstances of its
receipt of the report.

(2) More than one Council member has raised questions about either the
need or the speed of a Council note/response, and a vote has been
requested. Doesn't this mean we need to have a vote (whether or not we
may individually feel it is necessary)?

I also think the Council should expressly acknowledge that Rafik and
Carlton as Co-Chairs definitely kept to the chartered process as to the
submission of the report.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong at law.unh.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on
the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584>>>