[council] Re: Response to Stephane's Request for Comment - Second Milestone Report

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Mon May 16 10:15:29 UTC 2011

Thanks Carlton, most helpful.

Just a few additional comments embedded in the text below.

Stéphane

Le 13 mai 2011 à 21:43, Carlton Samuels a écrit :

> Dear Stephane:
>
> Rafik and I have conversed and offer our responses to your queries inline.
>
> Hi Rafik, Carlton,
>
> Having read the JAS WG report, I want to congratulate you and the group on the impressive amount of work that has been achieved.
> Many thanks for your recognition.  The drafting team of Evan Leibovitch, Cintra Sooknanan and Andrew Mack were especially taxed to produce it.  I am personally pleased to note that despite the herculean task, they never faltered in their commitment to the group.

(SVG) Please convey my and the GNSO Council's thanks to Evan, Cintra and Andrew.

> [...]
>

> As a group belonging to what is peddled to be an open, multi-stakeholder and transparent body, the WG welcomed input from anyone who cared to offer it.  For to refuse input is to deny the diversity of opinions that we seek in order to reach the best possible consensus.  You might also wish to know my personal guiding philosophy is to give all heresies the same weight, regardless of provenance, high or low church.
>
> On page 4 it says "This WG is comprised of members who support these aims and are committed to lowering the barriers to full participation in the gTLD program by a truly global and inclusive community." As co-chairs, do you feel the group's membership was representative of a sufficiently diverse set of views, opinions and approaches?
>
> We can acknowledge that the group represents a lively and diverse set of opinions and approaches, as witnessed by the lively debate and sometimes apparent slow progress that the group exhibited.
>
> The active members were geographically dispersed and came with experiences not only from their own lives but as actors in various ICANN constituencies.
>
> All opinions and options presented were considered by the WG, though the challenges of reaching consensus certainly prevented some from making it through the process.
>
> While we cannot say for certain, we have a sense that all of our members subscribe to the principle of a truly global and interoperable Internet supporting a truly global and inclusive community.
>

> We further did not detect the wish of any member to deny any group or party meaningful and full participation in the new gTLD program.
>
> Page 6 says that one criteria for eligibility is "Service in an under‐served language, the presence of which on the Internet has been limited". This is further explained in 3.1.2. But I don't understand what the metrics for these criteria are? What makes a language under-served and how can we measure if its presence on the Internet is limited?
>
> In this area and specially with respect to IDNs, details such as these are amongst some topics for which research is ongoing and required.  The principle has broad acceptance and the group  remains in contemplation, seeking more precise metrics. This is but one basis for the WG's continued work.  Your personal input - or by extension, the GNSO Council's - would be most welcome here.

(SVG) I understand from your response that these metrics have not been set yet. My personal opinion is that this is required if the WG's recommendations re under-serve languages are to be enactable. Also, while I am sure that individual members of the GNSO Council would be happy to provide input here, it is not the Council's place as a whole to do so. The WG is tasked with working out the recommendations, and those then go to the Council, who can send them back to the WG and ask for extra work or clarifications if that is deemed necessary. This should not be reversed.