[council] Public Comment: Preliminary Issue Report on the Current State of the UDRP
Glen de Saint Géry
Glen at icann.org
Mon May 30 12:58:11 UTC 2011
Public Comment: Preliminary Issue Report on the Current State of the UDRP
27 May 2011
ICANN Staff is seeking comments on its Preliminary Issue Report on the Current State of the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy<http://gnso.icann.org/issues/prelim-report-current-state-udrp-27may11-en.pdf> [PDF, 2.25 MB]. The public comment<http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/public-comment-201107-en.htm#prelim-report-udrp> period ends on 15 July 2011.
Created in 1999, the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) has successfully offered parties a less expensive alternative to costly litigation for resolving disputes involving domain name cybersquatting. The UDRP has not been formally reviewed by the GNSO Council since its inception. This Report informs the GNSO Council of the current state of the UDRP in advance of the Council's vote on whether to commence a policy development process (PDP) on this important policy.
Specifically, this Report addresses:
* How the UDRP has addressed the problem of cybersquatting to date, and any insufficiencies or inequalities associated with the process.
* Whether the definition of cybersquatting inherent within the existing UDRP language needs to be reviewed or updated.
This is an opportunity for the ICANN community to provide its views on the current state of the UDRP, and on whether a policy development process should be initiated to review the UDRP. This Report will be updated to reflect such feedback in the Final Issue Report to be presented to the GNSO Council after the closing of this public comment forum.
* For information on the GNSO's activities related to the UDRP, please see: http://gnso.icann.org/issues/udrp/
* For more information on the current state of the UDRP, please view the 10 May Webinar archived at: https://community.icann.org/display/gnsoudrpdt/Webinar+on+the+Current+State+of+the+UDRP
* To participate in the Singapore session on the Current State of the UDRP, please see: http://singapore41.icann.org/
Staff responsible: Margie Milam
Glen de Saint Géry
gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org<mailto:gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the council