[council] A question to the candidate

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Sat Oct 15 22:48:03 UTC 2011

John,

If you're not going to be in Dakar, then let me try and provide you with an answer onlist. Unfortunately, I won't be back online myself for a few days, but we can pick up the discussion after that.

I think the Council brings together the most diverse groups within the ICANN universe. Are we sure we either expect, or want, those groups to be uniform in their opinions and responses? I think the Council's diversity of views should, and need, to be expressed. That is where our strengths lie. In the fact that stakeholders from very different horizons can pool together their knowledge, experience, and opinions to steer the GNSO as a whole towards a common goal that best serves the GNSO (and the wider Internet) community. At SG and constituency level, it is quite normal to have only one side of the story expressed. Each group is looking after its own community, and that's the way it should be. But the Council is the only place where those different views can be benchmarked against other groups' views and mutual progress achieved. That makes the Council very unique within ICANN, and vital.

I feel strongly that the Chair must serve as a guide in this process. The GNSO Council works according to very exact procedures and rules. Rules, in fact, that we have just spent years, and expended huge amounts of effort and resources, honing under a new structure. Over the past year, as Chair, I have done my best to be the custodian of those rules.

I would argue, for example, that part of the answer to your question lies in using the existing processes in the ICANN bylaws for gTLD policy development. Too often people think they can short cut the process, or use a better process  - and in nearly all cases the short cut ends up taking longer, due the time used in discussing process.

If we use the process we have - then the time can be focussed on the substantial issues. My job as Chair has been, and will continue to be if the Council so wishes, to make sure we use our processes, and use them well.

Thanks for your question,

Stéphane