[council] About that question to the candidate

john at crediblecontext.com john at crediblecontext.com
Tue Oct 18 20:15:57 UTC 2011

Stephane,

Understand that my initial question was driven by what I read in the RAA
discussion paper: a belief held on the part of the ICANN staff that the
Council is home to disagreements that lead to delays in substantive
matters.

I agree with you that progress in a multi-stakeholder organization is
hard and meaningful.  So how come there is a disconnect between what
you/we and staff see as reality? I fully appreciate your desire to be a
guide, but that can be too soft a role.  As chair, I feel, it falls on
you (with our support) to be an advocate for the process and the
Council, too.

You well know that the latest staff document is not the only instance
when the Council was accused of being a hinderance.  Think JAS.

My question is simply this:  How can the Council do/how can it operate
so that deliberation is not labeled delay and argument is not called
disagreement?

On this particular question and in light of the effect it can have on
the reputation of the Council (and its individual members), agreeing to
disagree won't be enough.  On other stuff, sure.  Some stuff needs to be
more fully baked before a decision can be made.  But not this one.

Cheers,

Berard