[council] Re: About that question to the candidate

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Wed Oct 19 11:46:22 UTC 2011

It's important to first identify who is accusing the Council of being a hindrance and whether those accusations are real, or just "background noise" that someone is picking up on and making an issue of.

There is a lot of pressure put on the GNSO by individuals and groups to get what they want. As Chair, I have witnessed that pressure over the past year. My response has always been to explain the GNSO's processes and why they are important. Why the PDP is important and why circumventing it puts the ICANN multi-stakeholder model itself at risk.

As Chair, I have been the standard bearer for the GNSO's model as much and as often as I could. This is often not as visible as, say, drafting a meeting agenda or running a meeting. But I see it is being a very important part of the Chair's role.

If we are speaking of specific issues under consideration by the GNSO, my view is that the Chair should not defend them or even discuss them in any way beyond just the factual account of where the GNSO is on that specific issue at that specific time. Defending issues is your jobs, all of you as Councillors. Mine as Chair is to defend the model in general. That is not an individual Councillor's job. One of the benchmarks I set myself for being a good Chair and doing my job well is to defend that model.

And I have been forceful in doing so, in my interactions with other ICANN groups, during the discussions I have with the Chairs of those groups for example, in discussions with Board members... At times, I have also been staunch in my defense of that model with Staff. They also regularly come under pressure to bend to specific wills and desires. But by standing firm in my belief that the GNSO's model should be defended, I think I am able to work with the rest of the community to permeate that idea. I hope I am able to help Staff do so as well, just as they help me apply the GNSO's complex rules and procedures at all times.

It is something that I believe requires a good understanding of the GNSO's rules and procedures, and the importance of the model to the way the GNSO works, which in turn means understanding the importance of the Council's role within the GNSO. I believe I have that understanding.

I can tell you that my defense of those ideals in the past year has not always gone down well. I have not always made friends by sticking up for the GNSO Council. But I took on this position because I believe in that model. I am an entrepreneur who started a small business some years back. There are millions of people like that around the world. The only difference is the industry I joined. Because in this industry, because of the way it is governed through the ICANN model and the GNSO's model, I am able to take part at that governance level. I am able to interact with others who may have the same ideas, or different ideas, but who are all part of the same movement towards making sure that in the end, those who use the Internet get the most out of it.

To me, the GNSO Council is an extension, at gTLD community level, of the fantastic opportunity that has been given me as an entrepreneur, through ICANN, to be able to make an impact at a higher level than just that of my own company. The GNSO Council is the vessel which enables us all to make a differences at a level higher than that of our own individual groups.

I find your questions very positive John. Because they tell me that you also feel very strongly that the procedures and the model which we follow are precisely the ones that allows the GNSO's diversity to gel together at Council level and hence for the whole GNSO community to move forwards in a positive manner, even though the building blocks of that community are often very different.

Stéphane