[council] Meeting with the Board - Qualities of a new CEO

Jonathan Robinson jonathan.robinson at ipracon.com
Sat Oct 22 16:15:21 UTC 2011

All,

PLEASE GIVE INPUT IN ORDER TO BEST INFORM TOMORROW'S DISCUSSION WITH THE
BOARD

Thanks,

Jonathan

________________________

Hiring a new CEO

What qualities do you think we ought to be seeking in a new CEO? Perhaps
thinking about:

.         The nature of ICANN & the role it plays.  Balancing technology
sector, innovation, operational stability, financial management, being run
in the public trust

.         Qualities of the previous incumbents and what you did or did not
think were effective (for ICANN) about them?

.         The new/current world order (AOC, new gTLD programme, global
economic environment, emergence of new technologies, enhanced interest of
governments)

.         Desirable skills & experience - charisma, leadership, government
relations, private sector, financial, operational, international experience

What are your criteria for openness, transparency etc. in the hiring
process?
(bearing in mind considerations of responsibility to candidates and
community, privacy, Board confidence)

.         Do we expect to see (and influence by e.g. public comment) the
specification and key selection criteria?

.         Do we expect see and give feedback on the above or anything before
the hiring process commences?

.         Do we expect to have any interaction during the course of the
hiring process?  Updates, information, influence?  If so, how?

.         Do we expect to influence or comment on the final outcome?

Anything else?

.         Any other comments or issues on the hiring of a new CEO?

.         Performance criteria and measures of a successful appointment?

.         Term & termination provisions?