[council] can we have new igo motion emailed not on adobe/wiki

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Thu Apr 12 11:48:15 UTC 2012

Motion to request an Issue Report on the protection of names and acronyms
of IGOs

Made by: Mary Wong
Seconded by: Thomas Rickert

Whereas on September 7, 2007 the GNSO Council approved by supermajority
vote a PDP on new gTLDs with a number of recommendations, none of which
afforded special protection to specific applicants;

Whereas the GNSO Council passed a resolution approving new protections for
the first round of the new gTLD program as recommended by the GNSO's
International Olympic Committee (IOC) and Red Cross/Red Crescent (RC)
Drafting Team;

Whereas this resolution indicated that further discussions were required
on associated policies relating to protections for certain international
organizations at the second level, if any;

Whereas comments have been received coincident with the motion that
included requests from international governmental organizations requesting
the same protective rights as those for the IOC/RCRC for the current and
future rounds of the new gTLD program;

And whereas various possible criteria for the grant of protective rights
to such organizations was suggested at the ICANN meeting in Costa Rica,
including one based on the concept of "international legal personality³

Now therefore be it resolved,

The GNSO Council requests an issue report to precede the possibility of a
PDP that covers the following issues:

- Definition of the type of organizations that should receive special
protection at the top and second level, if any; and

- Policies required to protect such organizations at the top and second
level.