[council] Input Tracking for the Board ­ GNSO PDP Recommendations

David Olive david.olive at icann.org
Wed Aug 15 19:28:08 UTC 2012

Dear GNSO Council Members and Liaisons:

As part of ICANN's implementation of the ATRT Recommendations, we have
developed and are implementing the attached checklist as a tool to meet
Recommendation 20, which states:

20. The Board should ensure that all necessary inputs that have been
received in policy making processes are accounted for and included for
consideration by the Board. To assist in this, the Board should as soon as
possible adopt and make available to the community a mechanism such as a
checklist or template to accompany documentation for Board decisions that
certifies what inputs have been received and are included for consideration
by the Board.

As the GNSO is the SO that is most active in providing recommendations to
the Board arising out of the policy development process, this checklist is
being piloted within the GNSO.  This would be a tool that staff would have
the primary obligation for completing as part of the submission of GNSO
Policy recommendations, and is not intended to replace any of the existing
documentation requirements.

We would appreciate your thoughts on if there are improvements that could be
made to this checklist to help make sure that this is sufficient to capture
the inputs as identified in the ATRT Recommendation.

Please provide your inputs to rec-20-checklist at icann.org by 7 September
2012.

After your input is collected, we will be revising the checklist for use by
each of the Supporting Organizations.  We expect that this checklist will go
through iterations as we gain experience working with it.

Thank you for your help and input.

Regards,      David

David A. Olive
Vice President, Policy Development Support
1101 New York Avenue, NW - Suite 930
Washington, D.C.    20005
Office: 202.570.7126      Mobile:  202.341.3611