[council] Fwd: Draft Letter for Review re: IRD-WG Final Report Delivery to Board

Ching Chiao chiao at REGISTRY.ASIA
Wed Aug 22 10:27:13 UTC 2012

Stéphane / All,

My apology for not being responsive on this issue.

Stéphane -- I'd agree your approach on co-signing the SSAC letter,
which is simply to deliver the report to the Board. The Council has
already authorize the Chair to do so. After the submission of this
joint letter, the Board / Staff should prepare for the IRD
implementation timeline and liaise with GNSO / SSAC if there's any
policy issues -- a useful and similar reference could be ICANN's
roadmap on SAC 051 (
http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-6-04jun12-en.htm
). The question now is when the GNSO / ICANN community can see such
timeline therefore we should request for it.

In reality, based on my understanding, the policy works / motion may
come a year later or even longer. Here's why. Some of you may have
noticed the new development of the WEIRDS-WG
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/weirds/charter/) in IETF. At the
bottom of that web page you can see the proposed milestones for
standardizing RDDS. ICANN is relying on WEIRDS-WG to get the ball
rolling and ultimately fix the WHOIS / RDDS standardization issues,
and this include the IRD. Unless the Council is thinking something
else, this IRD / WEIRDS is pretty much driven by the progress /
efficiency of technical standard updates, and I assume that many
registry / registrar players are involved in that process. So my take
at the moment would be getting Staff to brief the Council regularly,
and we will have better sense of when to request a formal plan or
report from the Board / Staff, as well as to decide when to request
for issue report or to initiate PDP.

Just my two cents for this big issue. Other comments and suggestions
are certainly welcome and appreciated.

Best regards,

Ching