[council] Discussion kick-off on BC/IPC strawman proposal as blogged by Fadi

Thomas Rickert rickert at anwaelte.de
Fri Dec 7 21:41:41 UTC 2012

All,
this is a very good and healthy discussion. To me, the question is, how do we take this topic kicked off by Volker, which is partially congruent with the issue Jeff (and his colleagues) have been working on, forward.

Does the Council wish to react to this specific instance? Do we wish to approach this more generally?

With the new season that has been announced to have started at ICANN there might be an opportunity (I hope) to improve the way we work and interact inside ICANN. There are multiple dimensions to what Volker described (although there are other, comparable cases, too), namely the (lack of) interaction by the Council with the CEO, the Board, the GNSO and individual groups in the GNSO. There is no simple catch-all solution to all these areas and each of the aforementioned needs to be approached differently.

However, what makes me worry is that the reason for the symptoms we see might be the fact that the GNSO is perceived to be ineffective. Thus, I would even go further than Jonathan and say that we need to put the GNSO and its Council in as ordered a state as possible. This is certainly easier said than done, but I guess if the Council works quicker and (I know I am repeating myself here) uses all the tools it has available, not only PDPs working towards Consensus Policies, to adequately respond to the tasks that are in its remit,

- there will be less reason for individual groups to try to bypass the GNSO Council and
- the CEO and Board and maybe even the GAC might be more immune against attempts to bypass the system.

Can I ask we sort of formalize our work on the policy/implementation and this subject in a subgroup that produces concrete proposals for the Council?

Thanks,
Thomas

Am 03.12.2012 um 14:52 schrieb Jonathan Robinson <jonathan.robinson at ipracon.com>:

> Thanks Mason,
>
> Your commitment to working on solutions and through them to improving reality and perceptions is appreciated, by me at least!
>
> I do believe in your point, we as a Council need to put our own house (or should that be houses?) in as ordered a state as possible.
> To me, this means working effectively with all on the Council and also outwardly towards and within our respective SGs.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jonathan.

Thomas Rickert, Rechtsanwalt
Schollmeyer &  Rickert Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft m.b.H. (i.e. law firm)
Geschäftsführer / CEO: Torsten Schollmeyer, Thomas Rickert
HRB 9262, AG Bonn

Büro / Office Bonn:
Kaiserplatz 7-9, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)228 74 898 - 0

Büro / Office Frankfurt a.M.:
Savignystraße 43, 60325 Frankfurt, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)69 714 021 - 56

Zentralfax: +49 (0)228 74 898 - 66

mailto: rickert at anwaelte.de
skype-id: trickert