[council] Letter from Fadi Chehade (was FW: TMCH)

joy joy at apc.org
Thu Dec 13 20:58:17 UTC 2012

Thanks Jonathan and Volker.
I also support the position of referring back to earlier policy
decisions and the rejection of proposals that do not follow proper
policy making processes.
Given that the IP constituency has had a considerable hand in driving
these issues (particularly of late), the professional courtesy of
their open and honest engagement with Council discussion on this list
would be appreciated.

Joy

On 13/12/2012 7:57 a.m., Mason Cole wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> Jonathan
>>>

>>> From: owner-council at gnso.icann.org
>>> [mailto:owner-council at gnso.icann.org] On Behalf Of Volker
>>> Greimann Sent: 12 December 2012 17:20 To: Jonathan Robinson
>>> Cc: council at gnso.icann.org Subject: Re: [council] Letter from
>>> Fadi Chehade (was FW: TMCH)
>>>

>>> Dear Jonathan,
>>>
>>> I believe I have already clarified my position on these
>>> proposals. This position has been further supported by a
>>> review of preceeding policy decisions on these matters which
>>> have shown that not only are these mostly matters of policy but
>>> also that the demands proposed by the strawman are to a very
>>> large degree in direct contradiction to previous policy
>>> decisions.
>>>
>>> It should therefore be our position that we refer back to the
>>> earlier policy decisions on these issues and reject any
>>> changes to these positions that have not come through an
>>> established policy making process. ICANN should not be
>>> subjected to more of these suddenly policy revisions in closed
>>> backroom meetings and rather rely on its established
>>> processes.
>>>
>>> If that means that these proposals will not be ready for
>>> prime-time at the time of the launch of the new TLDs, so be it.
>>> I cannot in my best consciousness support caving in to
>>> speciality interests to the detriment of the community of the
>>> whole, of registries, registrars and registrants.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Volker
>>>

>>> All,
>>>

>>> A reminder that this item is on our agenda for discussion next
>>> week.  I believe that we need to respond to Fadi in as
>>> constructive, well-considered and comprehensive a manner as
>>> possible.
>>>

>>> Therefore, please can you personally consider the letter, the
>>> issues it raises and ensure that these are discussed with your
>>> respective groups so that you are in a position to discuss the
>>> Council’s response.
>>>

>>> Any contributions to the list in advance of December 20th most
>>> welcome.
>>>

>>> Noting:
>>>

>>> “I am seeking policy guidance from the GNSO Council on two
>>> items as part of the next steps for the implementation of the
>>> TMCH, namely, the Strawman Proposal and the IPC/BC proposal for
>>> limited defensive registrations”
>>>

>>> And
>>>

>>> “… a request from the New GTLD Program Committee’s April
>>> resolution where it requested “the GNSO to consider whether
>>> additional work on defensive registrations at the second level
>>> should be undertaken”(2012.04.10.NG2)”
>>>

>>> Thank-you.
>>>

>>> Jonathan
>>>

>>> From: Fadi Chehade [mailto:fadi.chehade at icann.org] Sent: 04
>>> December 2012 22:47 To: Jonathan Robinson Cc: Margie Milam;
>>> David Olive Subject: TMCH
>>>

>>> Dear Jonathan,
>>>

>>> As reported in my recent blog on the Trademark Clearinghouse

the recent implementation TMCH related discussions led to the
>>> development of a strawman model  to address some of the
>>> proposed improvements requested by the BC/IPC.   I am very
>>> pleased with the efforts shown by the participants in these
>>> discussions, as they reflect a willingness to explore
>>> improvements to the TMCH and the rights protection mechanisms
>>> available in new GTLDs.
>>>

>>> I am seeking policy guidance from the GNSO Council on two
>>> items as part of the next steps for the implementation of the
>>> TMCH, namely, the Strawman Proposal and the IPC/BC proposal for
>>> limited defensive registrations.   Each of these documents are
>>> posted for public comment
>>> (see:http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/tmch-strawman-30nov12-en.htm)

to allow the ICANN community the opportunity to comment on these