[council] RE: Motion on WHOIS Access recommendation

Neuman, Jeff Jeff.Neuman at neustar.us
Sun Jun 17 19:25:13 UTC 2012

Wolf,

This is key, but also please review:

1.        SAC 51:  http://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-051-en.pdf

2.        And the final roadmap to implement SAC 51:  http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-6-04jun12-en.htm which is currently published and before the board.

I do disagree with some things in the road map like the legalistic approach to standards development which is a larger issue of how ICANN sees its own self regulatory model, but nonetheless, they need to be reviewed.

3.       Also, don't forget the current discussions with the registrars on the RAA amendments:  http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-7-04jun12-en.htm which have several sections dealing with WHOIS Access.

4.       And finally keep in mind that certain picket fence items not finalized in the RAA discussions, can be addressed in the PDP we approved (which I believe the motion is meant to address).

The main point is that the motion came out of a group whose recommendations are 3 years old and do not take into consideration all of the work that is already underway.

Given all the work already underway, what is it that the motion adds that is not being done?

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs