[council] ALAC statement on the approval of the .com agreement

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 28 10:40:41 UTC 2012

The statement now approved by ALAC is as follows:

The At-Large Advisory Committee wishes to express its disappointment
with the Board's decision to meet in a closed session on Saturday 23
June to adopt the draft .com renewal agreement:
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-23jun12-en.htm#2.

ICANN staff had placed this topic on the Thursday 28 June public
forum agenda some time ago, and the .com renewal item remains on the
public forum topic list.  Although we were aware that the .com
agreement was on the Board's agenda, we were not aware of the intent
to approve the agreement at its closed session.

This comment is not with regard to the merits of the Board's action
nor on the content of the .com agreement. The process followed by the
Board is objectionable at a time when ICANN is subject to increased
scrutiny. To give the impression that the Board is interested in
additional community comment but then make a decision five days
earlier is not appropriate. It is imperative that the Board hold
itself to the highest standards of transparency and accountability
that it is mandated to uphold.