[council] Follow-up: informal batching discussion - summary and conclusions

Thomas Rickert rickert at anwaelte.de
Thu Jun 28 11:01:27 UTC 2012

All,
you may recall I asked for feedback on the summary and conclusions I circulated earlier this week. In addition to oral responses mainly supporting the general approach I displayed, I have also received two written statements, which I have included in this e-mail.

Please note that, as I had mentioned during the session on Monday as well as in my last e-mail, this is an effort in personal capacity.

Thanks,
Thomas Rickert

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> [...]
> ·         Digital Archery: CSC recommends ICANN abandon Digital Archery as a method of ranking applications within geographic regions as it is technically flawed, provides an unfair advantage to those who have significant technical and financial resources and is  reliant on a single action whose outcome is too heavily influenced by conditions (system latency, network traffic volume/throttling/routing, etc,) that can neither be predicted nor mitigated by diligent applicants.
> ·         Batching: CSC recommends that ICANN conduct initial evaluation of applications in 2 batches and that ICANN require applicants to self-select which batch they would like to be processed in.   Contentious strings in the total application pool should be grouped with the application in the earliest batch.
> ·         Order of Application Review within Each Batch:  CSC recommends ICANN order applications within a batch for evaluation  in the following manner:
> o   Non-contentious strings 1st in the following order of priority -  community TLDs,  “closed” .BRAND TLDs, IDNs, geo TLDs, remaining “open” TLDs/generics
> o   Contentious strings 2nd in the following order of priority- community TLDs,  “closed” .BRAND TLDs, IDNs, geo TLDs, remaining “open” TLDs/generics
> ·          Initial Evaluation of Applications: CSC urges ICANN to streamline initial evaluation of applications by utilizing the efficiencies suggested by the community, such as single review of answer sets used across multiple applications, evaluation by same evaluator of multiple similar applications by a single applicant, expedited review of closed .brand TLDs which utilize vetted gTLD registries, etc.
> ·         Publication of Initial Evaluation Results: CSC recommends that Initial Evaluation Results/Reports be released as evaluators complete evaluations.
> ·         Sequencing of the Delegation of Approved Strings: CSC recommends that delegation sequencing be based on the date that all pre-requisites for delegation are completed (queue based on date of completion).  Where there are multiple applicants that complete all pre-requisites on the same day and ICANN believes it is not possible to delegate all strings in the same day, priority of delegation would be based on the following factors: application score, batch number, date of contract with ICANN, time-stamp of submission of acceptable pre-delegation testing results to ICANN.
>
> We welcome the opportunity to continue to be part of the dialogue to craft a solution to these issues.  Please continue to keep us apprised on any further discussions or proposals on this matter.

[snip]

web: www.anwaelte.de