[council] Amendments to IOC/RCRC Motion

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Mar 26 15:44:09 UTC 2012

I have no rights to amend the motion, but I would like to suggest the
following amendment if anyone else is prepared to formally propose it.

The rationale is that it is now reasonably clear that:
- There may be requests to widen the concept to other international
organizations;
- There have been recommendations that any such changes not mention
particular organizations but be more generic;
- There is concern in the community over the overall concept;
- There is concern in the community about making permanent the Board
Name reservation which did not have bottom-up input of community involvement.

Replace:

Recommendation 3:    Protections should apply for all future rounds,
but may be reviewed after the first round.

             In its proposal, the GAC has recommended that the
protections for the IOC and RCRC should not just apply during the
first round of new gTLDs, but should be a permanent protection
afforded for all subsequent rounds.  Although, the Drafting Team has
not spent a lot of time discussing this topic, it does agree with the
notion that it is making this recommendation as one intended to apply
in all future rounds, but also recognizes that like all other aspects
of the new gTLD program, these protections may be reviewed by the
ICANN community should it desire to do so.

With:

Recommendation 3:   Protections should apply to the first round only.

             In light of the possible need to consider other
international organizations or make the above recommendations more
generic, and light of unease in parts of the committee, it is
recommended that the above changes to the Applicant Guidebook apply
to the first round only.

Alan