[council] Prague - please read!

Mary.Wong at law.unh.edu Mary.Wong at law.unh.edu
Fri May 11 20:19:11 UTC 2012

Thanks, Jeff - sorry for lack of clarity but my reference to the
reconsideration request was more of an FYI to the Council in thinking
through whether the IGO issue should be raised with the GAC.

Actually, I'm a little disturbed by a number of assertions, assumptions
and inaccuracies in the reconsideration request. For example, reference
is made interchangeably to Olympic "names", "marks" and the "goodwill of
the Olympic movement" as all protected by law. Some of these terms are
narrower and more specific than others, and while each may be protected
by some national laws, we don't at this point know that the broadest
term (goodwill of the movement) is protected by how many countries' laws
(especially since the international treaty in question protects the
Olympic "symbol" only).

Also, reference is made to the fact that "the GAC and the GNSO" worked
out the recommendations adopted by the GNSO Council. As we know, the GAC
does not participate in any WG or DT in its own right, nor do individual
GAC members do so as such (i.e. they do not represent their respective
countries or the GAC as a whole). There's also an implicit assumption
that "consensus" and "majority vote" of the Council mean the same thing
(i.e. both terms are used in the appeal).

Except for the first point about names versus marks versus the entire
Olympic movement, which alarms me as an IP lawyer about the broad extent
of trademark protection that seems to be claimed, I don't think the
other two points were anything other than inadvertent inaccuracies. I
wanted, however, to raise them all with you and will likely do so with
the DT as well.

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong at law.unh.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on
the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584>>>