[council] MOTION TO RECOMMEND PROTECTIONS IN THE FIRST ROUND OF NEW GTLDS FOR CERTAIN RED CROSS/RED CRESCENT (RCRC) AND INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (IOC) NAMES

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-Systems.net
Fri Nov 9 12:49:03 UTC 2012

Dear Jeff, dear fellow councillors,

not trying to ruffle any feathers here, especially at this late stage,
but I have strong objections to the concept of implementing blanket
mandatory restrictions to the legitimate rights of potential domain
owners to apply for certain strings on the second level based solely on
the lobbying power of the IOC and the Red Cross/Red Crescent. The
proposed reserving of the listed terms effectively removes the ability
of other potential rights holders in these strings to apply for their
trademarks or other name rights in the sunrise phase of any newly
launched gTLD, especially since the TMCH warning process would provide
the protected entities and the applicant with ample warning of the
potential conflict during the launch. Only once the minimum duration of
the TMCH protection in newly launched TLDs expires does further
protection become necessary.

A quick search shows numerous such potential applicants for the string
"Olympic" alone: restaurants, an airline, a paint company, a travel
agency, hotels, a college, a dairy company and many more, none of which
infringe upon the legally protected rights of the above organizations by
use of the string "olympic". The blanket restriction therefore seems as
an overreach, especially since effective protection mechanisms are
already implemented during the launch.

A more differentiated approach therefore seems appropriate, such as a
requirement for new gTLD registries to add the affected strings to the
reserved list only after the TMCH is no longer effective for the TLD, or
allowing Sunrise applications despite the restriction.

While I understand and agree with the need to implement some form of
protections for the above organizations, such protections should not
infringe on third party rights to apply for the registration of domain
names that match their legal rights in an undue manner.

Best,

Volker Greimann

--
Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.