[council] RE: POLICY vs. IMPLEMENTAION

Jen Wolfe jwolfe at wolfe-sbmc.com
Fri Nov 30 14:28:56 UTC 2012

Jonathan,

I agree with the approach that's being discussed in the email threads and offer just a few other points for framing the discussion:

1.	 ICANN's new CEO is clearly a no-nonsense, down to business-minded leader, which is good for ICANN and the internet community, however, can easily give rise to a push to define more issues as implementation so he can move swiftly over policy which inherently takes more time.

2.	The GAC is clearly moving toward definitively posturing that its advice, once adopted by the board, is ready for implementation, even if policy is still at issue and/or should be debated through the bottom up multi-stakeholder model.

3.	Hundreds of millions of dollars are being pumped into new gTLDs and the expansion of the internet by some of the largest companies in the world.  This means there are many new stakeholders with an increasing economic interest in implementation versus policy.

4.	With the scale and scope of the expansion of the internet, internet users need more representation and protection than ever, which is driven largely by policy rather than implementation which can be influenced by lobbying efforts of large companies and those with the most invested.

As the Nom Com non-voting member of the council, I would be happy to volunteer to participate in any smaller discussions to bring a neutral perspective on this topic and look forward to meaningful discussions on this important issue.

With kindest regards,

Jen

JENNIFER C. WOLFE, ESQ., APR, SSBB
MANAGING DIRECTOR, WOLFE DOMAIN, A DIGITAL BRAND STRATEGY ADVISORY FIRM
MANAGING PARTNER, WOLFE, SADLER, BREEN, MORASCH & COLBY, A LAW FIRM SERVING GLOBAL CLIENTS
IAM 300 - TOP 300 GLOBAL IP STRATEGISTS 2011 & 2012
Follow Me:
Blog: Moneyball changed baseball - will gTLDs change the internet?

4430 Carver Woods Dr., Cincinnati, OH 45242
513 746 2801 direct line | 513 746 2828 fax
Privileged/confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.