[council] RE: [council] RE: [council] GAC Communiqué f rom Toronto

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Oct 22 01:02:33 UTC 2012

Agreed. The GAC position is that the names cannot be used.

As Jeff has repeatedly said, the USE of these
names may be forbidden, but so is the use of
certain words in certain countries. If we expect
all registries to deny registrations of these
names, they must be explicitly listed in the contracts.

Historically the reserved names list has been
changed without the benefit of a PDP - compare:
http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/registries/verisign/appendix-06-01mar06-en.htm
and
http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/registries/verisign/registry-agmt-appk-com-16apr01-en.htm.
I am not sure if these changes were all the
result of Board action, or simply staff action.
In any case, we need to NOT say that a PDP is
required for any change of that list. History
says otherwise. And in my mind, there is no
reason to believe that this is still not the case.

However, given the likelihood (already
experienced) of others saying "me too", a formal
PDP is warranted. The fact that the GAC is
willing to create a specific list (something I
suggested a while ago and was told the GAC would
*never* agree to do such operational work) makes
it implementable if the PDP should decide that reservation is warranted.

Alan