[council] GNSO Council - Looking ahead from ICANN 45

Jonathan Robinson jonathan.robinson at ipracon.com
Thu Oct 25 10:53:22 UTC 2012

Dear GNSO Councillors,

It's a week since ICANN 45 in Toronto and I would like to take the
opportunity to personally update you with a little progress and the
development of my thinking in the interim.

Together with the Vice Chairs, we took advantage of being in Toronto to meet
with the GNSO Policy staff and secretariat.  The objective was to discuss
and understand key practical interactions and ways of working together to
ensure smooth operational functioning of the Council.  We met for a little
over an hour, had a productive, open discussion and I believe we are all off
to a good start.

As we commence working together as a "new" council and begin the terms of
our incoming Councillors, I am very keen to extend a very warm welcome to
all those who joined us in Toronto.  More than that, I'd like to make sure
we give the incoming Councillors a proper introduction to and induction onto
the Council.  With this in mind, I'll be writing to them in order to set up
at least one meeting.  If, from your own experience of joining or working on
the Council, you think that there are specific imprtant areas we should
cover in an induction, please don't hesitate to let me know.

During the course of the election process, we touched on key areas that
needed on going, renewed or new attention and I'd like to mention these.  I
think of them as strategic priorities and my list is as follows:

1.       Work load management and prioritisation

2.       Internal relations and effective working of the Council

3.       External relations and effective representation of the Council

I am sure most of you will think of other areas that you may wish to see on
this list.  In any case, I look forward to expanding on points 1-3 above
with some practical initiatives.  In the meantime, and indeed for the whole
of my term as chair of the Council, I will welcome any constructive input
and feedback from you.

As discussed at various points, my overarching objective is to work with
you, the groups you represent and the relevant ICANN staff to ensure that
the GNSO Council is effective, seen to be effective and that our work is
appreciated and respected.

Best wishes,

Jonathan