[council] suggestions for the Toronto agenda

Thomas Rickert rickert at anwaelte.de
Fri Sep 14 09:09:02 UTC 2012

Stéphane, Wolf-Ulrich and Jeff, all,
since we did not have the time to discuss agenda items for Toronto, I would like to propose two topics now.

1. At the moment, all contracts with ICANN are governed by the laws of California. For ICANN to be globally inclusive, it would seem appropriate to me if ICANN would offer contracts at least one in each of the regions under one regional law. I would like to kick-off a discussion on that.

2. In the course of the RAA negotiations there are, amongst others, requests for (i) validation prior to the resolution of domain names and annual re-verification to increase Whois accuracy as well as for (ii) data retention for two years past the life of the registration. Particularly these two areas will have an enormous impact on the whole community. Yet, there does not seem to be community-wide attention to that and the practical and legal implications thereof. Let me clarify that this it not meant to affect the Registrars' mandate to negotiate or change the Council's role. It is more about raising awareness.

Thanks for all your work on putting the agenda together,
Thomas