[council] Changes to GNSO Operating Procedures

john at crediblecontext.com john at crediblecontext.com
Mon Apr 29 16:34:47 UTC 2013

Jonathan,

Our recent experience suggests that #1 is the better option.  As a resident of PST, it would make my life easier, but I see the global value of UCT.

Berard

--------- Original Message ---------Subject: RE: [council] Changes to GNSO Operating Procedures
From: "Jonathan Robinson" <jrobinson at afilias.info>
Date: 4/29/13 6:31 am
To: "'Zahid Jamil'" <zahid at dndrc.com>, "'Volker Greimann'" <vgreimann at key-Systems.net>
Cc: "'Wendy Seltzer'" <wendy at seltzer.com>, "'Marika Konings'" <marika.konings at icann.org>, council at gnso.icann.org

 All,

 I'd like to close this off and move to posting it for public comment.

 My understanding is that we are agreed on 10 calendar days as this is global
 and meets what was originally intended.

 As far as a time-zone is concerned, we have two options:

 1. Choose a fixed time zone in which the 23h59 cut-off occurs. There is no
 universally fair time zone to use for a global audience but UTC seems as
 close to a standard as we have.
 PST provides for a later sunset but is arguably less of a standard than UTC.

 OR

 2. Agree that the cut-off is 10 calendar days (exactly) before the meeting
 occurs. This will mean that the time of the cut-off varies on a per meeting
 basis.
 This is probably most fair but could lead to confusion since it varies on a
 per meeting basis.
 Still, as long as the cut-off time is sent as part of the reminder in
 calling for motions, it seems reasonable.

 Any comments or inputs, please provide them ASAP before we move to public
 comment.

 Thanks,

 Jonathan