[council] Re: Ballot on Motion on the Adoption of the Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP Proceedings Policy Development Process Final Report and Recommendations

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Fri Aug 2 06:18:05 UTC 2013

On 08/01/2013 12:26 PM, Glen de Saint Géry wrote:

> Dear Wendy,
>
> Pursuant to the GNSO Council Operating Procedures section 4.4 Absentee Voting Procedures
> GNSO Council Operating Procedures approved 13 September 2012 for the GNSO Council and updated.
> <http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/op-procedures-13jun13-en.pdf>
> absentee voting is allowed on the motion on the Adoption of the Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP Proceedings Policy Development Process Final Report and Recommendations.
>
> Your absentee ballot follows.  Please indicate your preference with an X and send the lines preceded with *asterisks directly to the GNSO Council Mailing list.
>

> * On the motion I vote:
>
> * [ X ] Yes
>
> * [ ] No
>
> * [ ] Abstain
>
> * Password: Green-5

Note that I vote in favor only because Recommendation 4's "reveal" of
registrants behind privacy or proxy services is a "may." I expect that
we will gather data for future evaluation of how often these procedures
are used as denial-of-service attacks or identification attacks against
legitimate domain registrants.

Thank you,
--Wendy

> This process should be completed within 72 hours of the meeting which ended at 15:20 UTC on Thursday, 1 August 2013.
> (The completed ballot is due NLT 15:20 UTC, Sunday, 4 August  2011)
>
> Motion on the Adoption of the Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP Proceedings Policy Development Process Final Report and Recommendations
>
> Made by: Jeff Neumann
> Seconded by: Brian Winterfeldt
>
> WHEREAS
>
>  1. On 15 December 2011, the GNSO Council launched a Policy Development Process (PDP) on the Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP Proceedings to make recommendations to the GNSO Council to address the issues identified with the locking of a domain name subject to UDRP Proceedings.
>

> 2. This PDP has followed the prescribed PDP steps as stated in the Bylaws, resulting in a Final Report delivered on 5 July 2013;
>
> 3. The Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP Proceedings WG has reached full consensus on the recommendations in relation to addressing the issues identified with the locking of a domain name subject to UDRP Proceedings;
>
> 4. The GNSO Council has reviewed and discussed these recommendations.
>
> Now therefore be it resolved,
>
>  1. The GNSO Council recommends to the ICANN Board of Directors the adoption of the Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP Proceedings recommendations as detailed in the Final Report http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/locking/domain-name-final-05jul13-en.pdf
>
>  2. The GNSO Council shall convene a Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP Proceedings Implementation Review Team to assist ICANN Staff in developing the implementation details for the new policy should it be approved by the ICANN Board. The Implementation Review Team will be tasked with evaluating the proposed implementation of the policy recommendations as approved by the Board and is expected to work with ICANN Staff to ensure that the resultant implementation fulfills the intentions of the approved policy recommendations. If the Implementation Review Team identifies any potential modifications to the policy recommendations or need for new policy recommendations, the Implementation Review Team shall refer these to the GNSO Council for its consideration and follow-up, as appropriate. Following adoption by the ICANN Board of the recommendations, the GNSO Secretariat is authorized to issue a call for volunteers for a Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP Proceedings !
 Implementa
tion Review Team to the members of the Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP Proceedings Working Group.

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org +1 617.863.0613
Policy Counsel, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)