[council] Extension of Deadline - 6 Sept 2013 - Explore the Draft Next Generation gTLD Directory Services Model
Glen de Saint Géry
Glen at icann.org
Tue Aug 13 16:30:04 UTC 2013
At the request of ICANN Community Members, the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services has extended its open consultation period until 6 September 2013 - 23:59 UTC in order to provide the Community with additional time to comment on the proposed model and recommendations (see announcement: https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-08aug13-en.htm).
Please note that the EWG is meeting in late August to begin revising the initial report<https://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services/initial-report-24jun13-en.pdf> [PDF, 1.7 MB]. Comments received by 23 August 2013 - 23:59 UTC will be most useful.
The Community is also invited to read the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services' frequently asked questions<https://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services/faqs> which the EWG developed and assembled in Durban to help answer commonly asked questions regarding the EWG's draft recommendations.
Where may I submit my comments?
There are different avenues through which you may submit comments:
* Online questionaire<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services/share-24jun13-en.htm> - To help focus attention, the EWG requests your feedback on a set of questions but welcomes comments on any aspect of the Initial Report.
* Public Email address: input-to-ewg at icann.org<mailto:input-to-ewg at icann.org>
Input is publicly archived. To read the responses and input received to date, please refer to: http://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services/share-24jun13-en.htm
Very best regards
ICANN has embarked on an effort to reinvent today's WHOIS system. A significant milestone was reached on 24 June 2013<https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-3-24jun13-en.htm> with the publication <https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-3-24jun13-en.htm> of the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services<https://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services> (EWG)'s initial report for community input and comment. The initial report<https://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services/initial-report-24jun13-en.pdf> proposes a paradigm shift - a new system in which gTLD registration data is collected, validated and disclosed for permissible purposes only, with some data elements being accessible only to authenticated requestors that are then held accountable for appropriate use. The EWG has identified the design features and principles that they believe are essential in this new system, and a proposed Model for the next generation data directory services to replace WHOIS.
The Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services aims to publish its final report in October for discussion at the Buenos Aires meeting and is scheduled to meet in-person in Washington, DC in late August to discuss final recommendations in light of the input and comments received. The suggested model will be submitted to ICANN's CEO and Board when the work is concluded. The output will feed into a Board-initiated GNSO policy development process to serve as a foundation for the GNSO's creation of new consensus policy, and contractual negotiations, as appropriate.
The EWG work stems from the Board's directive<https://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-08nov12-en.htm> to redefine the purpose and provision of gTLD registration data, while balancing data accuracy and access issues with safeguards for protecting data. The EWG considered the important community work done over the last decade by the GNSO, the SSAC, the WHOIS Review Team, the GAC and others. The Initial Report<https://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services/initial-report-24jun13-en.pdf> [PDF, 1.7 MB] reflects the EWG's consensus view of the design principles and features needed for a new system. The proposed Model highlights how these design principles and features could be fulfilled in the ICANN domain ecosystem.
* For more information, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions<https://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services/faqs> prepared by the EWG related to its Initial Report.
* To view translations of the Initial Report and/or Initial Report Executive Summary, please refer to: translations<https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-3-24jun13-en.htm>
* To view the Expert Working Group's activities, please refer to the EWG wiki<https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=40175189>.
* Consultation archives are available: webinar archives<http://www.icann.org/en/about/learning/webinars/gtld-directory-services-24jun13-en.htm> (8 July 2013) and session archives<http://durban47.icann.org/node/39627> (15 July 2013 - Durban).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the council