[council] MSI Panel: A Call to Action

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Wed Dec 4 12:55:35 UTC 2013

hi Marika and all,

i'm very much of two minds about this project.

sure, moving ICANN forward is a Good Thing.  figuring out new/better ways to do stuff is a Good Thing.

but i made my living (back when i worked for a living) helping organizations repair projects that were going off the rails, or recover from the damage done by badly-crafted projects.  i'm worried that this project hits a few of the key indicators i used to look for during the repair/recovery efforts i ran.

- what are the expectations for this?  what problem is it trying to solve?  for whom?  why?

i don't see the organizational-benefit statement for this project.  how are we going to know whether this project actually did what it's supposed to do?

- is ICANN ready (i.e. widely shared strong feeling that the problem described above really serious)?

are we just good little minions marching along under the orders of Top Management?  this is sometimes described as "the pain for change."  how badly do we feel this pain and how excited are we about how this project is going to fix it?

another aspect of readiness is the capacity for the organization to participate.  right now, for me, this project has to take a back seat to other more pressing tasks.  i'm concerned that we're throwing too much work at too few people.  yet if we don't participate there's a strong likelihood that the results of this project will be rammed down our throats.  check back with me for guerrilla tactics on how to resist that -- i've seen a lot of inventive stuff in my day.

- is the timetable realistic?

i'm struck by the notion that all the "good ideas" phase is going to happen in six weeks (and that we're half way through that phase already).  the proposals arising from those good ideas are going to be developed in one week after that.  etc. etc.  my reaction to that timetable is "this is going to be a heartbreaker, i think i'll save my energy for other efforts."  i'm even less reassured when i look at the proposals that have come in so far, at the halfway mark.  they're…  um…  thin.

- are we relying too much on outsiders?

i know, that can sound insular and defensive.  so be it.  i'm an avid fan of the WG process and i don't see familiar faces in this team.  will they be able to really help make improvements and put WG work on a 21st century footing when they don't have much familiarity with the good (and bad) aspects of the bottom of the bottom-up process?

i can go on, but since this is a grumpy post and i don't like reading long grumpy rants any more than the rest of you i think i'll stop here.  i'm just voicing my reaction and concern.   please ignore this if i'm off in the weeds.  but if i'm not, maybe we ought to speak up?

mikey

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE: OConnorStP (ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)