[council] GNSO Council resolutions 12 December 2013
Glen de Saint Géry
Glen at icann.org
Fri Dec 13 20:01:00 UTC 2013
The GNSO Council resolved the following resolutions at its meeting on Thursday 12 December 2013.
1. Motion to adopt the Joint ccNSO/GNSO IDN Working Group (JIG) Final Report on Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs
1. The JIG (Joint ccNSO/GNSO IDN Working Group) was formed by mutual charters between the ccNSO and GNSO councils, and extended (ccNSO: http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/minutes-council-23aug11-en.pdf | GNSO: http://gnso.icann.org/resolutions/#201107) to complete its work on the 3 identified issues of common interest between the ccNSO and GNSO; 2. One of those issues concerns Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs; 3. The JIG published its Draft Final Report on Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs for public comment which closed on 16 August 2013, http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/idn-tld-acceptance-final-25jun13-en.htm)
4. The JIG reviewed the comments received and finalized its report accordingly.
5. The JIG submitted its Final Report to the GNSO Council on 17 November (http://buenosaires48.icann.org/en/schedule/mon-jig/presentation-jig-final-idn-tld-acceptance-15nov13-en)
6. The GNSO Council reviewed and considered the Final Report.
1. The GNSO Council adopts the JIG Final Report on Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs and its recommendations and will submit it to the ICANN Board for its consideration.
2. The GNSO Council thanks the JIG for its work, with special thanks to Jothan Frakes for his contributions in proactively reaching beyond the ICANN community to address issues identified in the report.
3. The GNSO Council recognizes that further work needs to be done in relation to IDNs, in particular IDN variants and universal acceptance of IDNs and asks the JIG to put forward suggestions on how to deal with these issues and deliver these suggestions to the GNSO Council by the ICANN Singapore Meetings in March 2014.
2. Motion to adopt the Final Report of the joint DNS stability and security analysis Working Group (DSSA)
1. The joint DNS Security and Stability Analysis working group was established by the participating Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees ALAC, ccNSO, GNSO and NRO to better understand the security and stability of the global domain name system (DNS) in 2011.
2. In October 2011 the ICANN Board of Directors established the Board DNS Risk Management Framework Working Group (DNS RMF WG), with the objective to oversee the
development of a risk management framework and system for the DNS as it pertains to ICANN's role as defined in the ICANN Bylaws.
3. At the time the DSSA published its draft Report Phase 1 (August 2012), the DSSA went into hibernation to avoid overlap with the work of the Board DNS RMF and noted and
informed the participating SO's and AC's that in order to reflect the changed environment and working method, the charter of the DSSA would need to be updated to reflect these changes.
4. The co-chairs of the DSSA WG have sent a letter (http://gnso.icann.org/en/correspondence/dssa-to-so-ac-chairs-09nov13- en.pdf) to the chairs of each of the participating stakeholder organizations to submit the Final Report and the work products contained in it
(available at: http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/dssa-final-08nov13-en.pdf). This letter outlines the reasons the co-chairs recommend not proceeding with phase 2.
5. The DSSA recommends the acceptance of the Final Report and further recommends that the Final Report be disseminated to registry operators and registrars for their consideration.
6. Upon adoption of the Final report of the DSSA, and notification of adoption to the co-chairs of the DSSA, the working group will be closed.
1. The GNSO Council adopts the Report submitted by the co-chairs of the DSSA WG, as the Final Report of the DSSA WG in accordance with section 2.4 of its charter.
2. The chair of the GNSO Council is requested to inform the co-chairs of the DSSA WG of adoption of the Report by the GNSO Council.
3. The chair of GNSO Council is also requested to inform the chairs of the other participating SO's and AC's (SSAC, ALAC, ccNSO and NRO).
4. Finally, the GNSO Council thanks and congratulates all, and in particular the co-chairs of the WG:
Olivier Crepin- LeBlond (ALAC), Joerg Schweiger (.DE, ccNSO), Mikey O'Connor (GNSO), James Galvin (SSAC) and Mark Kosters (NRO) and all volunteers and staff who helped with this effort.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Glen de Saint Géry
gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org
More information about the council