[council] Current draft of Fadi's requested communication from council

john at crediblecontext.com john at crediblecontext.com
Thu Feb 14 00:01:33 UTC 2013

Volker,

Well, tomorrow's call (3 a.m. Pacific time!) should be worth getting up for.

You ask, "Does a trademark allow its owner to prevent the use of the mark by third parties in other classes, or if the mark is their name, etc, etc?"  No, but, just as on the Internet no one knows you are a dog (credit to the New Yorker magazine), there are no separate classes or countries, either.  I am no lawyer (huzzah!) so I have long been comfortable saying that domain names grant a global trademark without the bother of having to comply with the laws of the 290 or so countries that exist on the planet.  That is a pretty good deal.

This conflict -- global regime vs. local control -- is the hallmark of many of the current Internet-fueled debates.  I don't think the mandate of the GNSO Council covers that.  But, we are in a position to have a say in how our little slice of the world ought to approach it.

Take a look at how we ask third parties to participate in trademark protection now.  The sunrise is a method (by exclusion) and the TMCH as it is currently constituted (by inclusion).

Talk to you tomorrow.

Cheers,

Berard

--------- Original Message ---------Subject: Re: [council] Current draft of Fadi's requested communication from council