[council] Whois Privacy Proxy Reveal and Relay Study proposed resolution for February Agenda

Barbara Roseman barbara.roseman at icann.org
Thu Jan 31 06:23:50 UTC 2013

All,

As you may recall, at the ICANN Meeting in Toronto, Lyman Chapin presented
the results of the survey that evaluated the feasibility of conducting a
future in-depth study into communication Relay and identity Reveal requests
sent for gTLD domain names registered using Proxy and Privacy services (see
presentation attached). The Council may want to consider whether to go ahead
with this study. To this end, we've prepared the attached draft motion that
may help facilitate the discussions on this item. A proposed agenda item
could read as follows:

Item X ­ For discussion - Whois Privacy and Proxy Relay and Reveal Study

At the ICANN Meeting in Toronto, Lyman Chapin presented the results of the
survey that evaluated the feasibility of conducting a future in-depth study
into communication Relay and identity Reveal requests sent for gTLD domain
names registered using Proxy and Privacy services (include link to
presentation). The Council should consider whether to go ahead with the
study.

X.1 ­ Update from Staff (Barbara Roseman)
X.2 ­ Review of draft motion
X.3 ­ Discussion
X.4 ­ Next steps

I have also attached the Interisle presentation from Toronto on their
findings.

With best regards,

Barbara Roseman
Policy Director